Review: Hush, Hush

Hush, Hush
by Becca Fitzpatrick
Release Date: October 12, 2009

Nora Grey is a strong-willed girl that doesn't have time to date. She cares about school, her mother, and her best friend Vee. When Nora is paired with Patch as a lab partner, she is immediately repulsed by his arrogance and semi-creepiness. Yet, she seems to have an unexplainable attraction to him. Soon, mysterious and terrifying events leave her not knowing who to trust.

I've seen this book on a few blogs, and it has received many rave reviews. But, as I read the synopsis I was eerily reminded of Twilight, which I thought was awful. A girl that likes a potential killer boy against her better judgement... no thanks!

However... this book surprised me. I could see why Nora was actually conflicted. Yes, she made some dumb decisions. Not being totally open with her mom or proper authorities when she was attacked wasn't the smartest idea. Yet, it ends up actually making sense. The fact that she likes Patch but is actually aware of the fact that he's dangerous for her and makes the conscious decision to stay away is refreshing. And guess what? Nora likes school and spends a lot of time reading and has hobbies.

However, I think the thing I liked best in this book was even though romance was pretty much center stage, there is another plot. One that I couldn't quite figure out. You aren't ever really sure whose side you're on or who can be trusted. And, ultimately, Nora and other characters make real sacrifices.

If you liked Twilight, you'll LOVE this book, guaranteed. If you didn't like Twilight, I don't know that I'd recommend it highly, but it may be worth your while.

Overall I gave it 3 stars.