Review: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain

The Dark Divine
By: Bree Despain
Release Date: December 22, 2009 
Read the First Chapter on Bree Despain's Website

From the Back Cover:
A prodigal son

A dangerous love

A deadly secret . . .

I stood back and watched his movements. Daniel had that way about him that could shut me down in an instant. . . . I kicked the gravel a couple of times and worked up my courage again. “Tell me . . . I mean . . . why did you come back? Why now, after all this time?”

Grace Divine, daughter of the local pastor, always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kalbi disappeared—the night she found her brother Jude collapsed on the porch, covered in blood. But she has no idea what a truly monstrous secret that night really held. And when Daniel returns three years later, Grace can no longer deny her attraction to him, despite promising Jude she’ll stay away.

As Grace gets closer to Daniel, her actions stir the ancient evil Daniel unleashed that horrific night. Grace must discover the truth behind Jude and Daniel's dark secret . . . and the cure that can save the ones she loves. But she may have to lay down the ultimate sacrifice to do it—her soul.

Review:
I think I'm liking paranormal romance more and more. Really, it can be awesome when it's written well and has other plots besides the romance.  I really liked the main character Grace. She was smart, and exceptionally kind.  That was something I think that was really missing from other paranormal romances that I've read lately. Grace has a drive to help those around her, even when it makes her uncomfortable.  Grace has a good relationship with her family, even though they have their problems.

Daniel was an intriguing character. Some of my favorite parts of the book were taking glimpses into his past and what he has done to overcome his difficulties. Bree does an excellent job of taking a problem like family abuse and giving it an alternate explanation while at the same time not making light of the very real emotional disruption these problems bring into a person's life.

I had only two notable problems with the story. First, I wasn't satisfied with the way things ended with the other love interest in the story. It seemed a little hurried and unfinished. The story may have been better without him in it.

The second problem is purely personal preference for me. I'm not a huge fan of the main characters in paranormal romances being teenagers. I know that that's the target audience for the book, but I guess I just don't feel like high school students generally have the maturity to experience emotions like true love.

If you like paranormal romance at all, you'll love this book. In fact, this would be a great Christmas gift for those on your list that are looking for something to read after Twilight.

Rating:
I gave this book a solid 4.5 stars, and rounded up to 5
Profanity: Pretty much non-existent. I mean, the main character is the daughter of a pastor...
Drugs and Alcohol: Mild. It's mentioned I think once in the story.
Sexuality: Extremely Mild.
Violence: Mild. There are a few murders in the book, and sometimes the descriptions are a little graphic, but nothing alarming.
Book-a-like: Twilight (cringe), Hush, Hush, Shiver