Buying Books

I re-discovered my local library this summer.  It has increased my number of books read, and decreased my amount of money spent in bookstores.

Since I started checking books out, I've realized that my buying habits of books have changed significantly. It causes me severe heartburn to buy a book that I haven't read. The only time I do this is when there is a waiting list of 30 or more at the library. (Hunger Games comes to mind). Or, if it's the next book in a series that I know I like. (Catching Fire, Harry Potter, pretty much anything by Shannon Hale).

For me, it's almost like trying on clothes before buying them and taking them out of the store.

But, I'm dying to know what you think? What motivates you to purchase a book you haven't read before? Do you utilize your local library?