Blogger Confidential: Never Say Never

Have you ever been faced with an issue while reading or blogging and thought: I wonder what other bloggers think about this?  No matter what genre or audience you blog for, we all face the same problems.  Are you a publisher or author wondering what goes on in a blogger's (and by extension a reader's) head?

Blogger confidential is a series of 12 questions asked to 11 bloggers about the nitty gritty details of blogging. Everything from what prompts a blogger to pick up a book, to what happens when a book doesn't live up to its hype.  This series was inspired by Wastepaper Prose's Author Insight series.

If you feel inspired by any of these questions, leave your answer in the comments, or create your own post!

This week's question:

Is there anything in blogging that you've done that you swore you'd never do? What changed your mind?

"Hmmm . . . nothing is coming to mind." Natasha from Maw Books

"Not so much with my actual blog, but I swore I’d never get a Twitter account. I never really saw the point, but now I spend entirely too much time on there! I only decided to make an account after I saw how beneficial it can be when spreading the word about new posts and connecting with fellow bloggers and authors." Sara from The Hiding Spot

"Posted every single day and stayed up very late to do so. I always said I wouldn't do this, "it's just a blog". Well, it's become more than that. It's a daily interaction with people who share my same thoughts and feelings about books. Which can often be hard to find in "real life". More than anything though, the reason behind it had more to do with a desire to share more. I've developed an insane addiction to children's and YA books that has me constantly thinking about new ways to talk about them, thus leading to my daily posting and late nights. But I love it!" Danielle from There's a Book

"I guess the only thing is keeping up with the blog and its community. I am really grateful to all my followers and readers, and so it hurts that I cannot comment or participate as much as I use to. It was not so much that my mind was changed, but rather that I got a job. For a majority of my blog's life, I have been 100% focused on it, but now with the job, it is SO hard sometimes to get everything done. I hate feeling like things are not getting taken care of." Kate from The Neverending Shelf

"I don’t think so, actually. But then I don’t go around swearing off things very much. Or at least not blogging things. I may never touch broccoli again after the Great Vomiting Incident of 2009, but that’s another story entirely and one not at all worth going into here. There are worlds that blogging has opened up to me that I am certain I would never have discovered otherwise and that is one of the reasons it has bewitched me so. For instance, I hadn’t formally sworn off anything, but I had never read a straight romance novel before I was challenged to do so by some blogfriends. That first one wasn’t so much a go, but I have since found a small near-handful that have worked for me just swimmingly. And I would never have found them without those wonderful romance readers and bloggers out there who make me laugh on a daily basis and wisely and deftly point me toward books that are made for Angie. When you read blogs centered around genres you don’t normally read, you discover the wonderfully smart, funny people who do read them and you find yourself irresistibly drawn to search out what they recommend. Because good book are good books. Period. No matter the genre." Angie from Angieville

"I don't think so... why, was there something on your mind when you asked this question? :)" Steph from Steph Su Reads

"I don't know if I've done things I swore I would never do, but I've definitely changed things. I went from no ratings to ratings and from no disclosure to disclosure. That's why conversation with other bloggers and people who do what you do can be so valuable and I think bloggers should always feel it's okay to change something that's not working for them." Amy from My Friend Amy


"I did a meme! I swore I never would I saw them as 'fillers' now I see that
some of them can be community building." Pam from Bookalicious

"I was asked by a reader not to talk about my follower numbers any more so I haven't. Until now. I don't think they mean anything, more often than not they represent a bloggers need to have competitions to look like a quality reviewer. Some bloggers have high numbers because they are THAT good. My numbers are relatively small which bums me out when I allow myself to get into a high school mentality of wanting to be prom queen. I've learnt that my followers mostly come by every single day. They are a loyal little bunch and I love them to bits. Would I like more? Yes. But that's a vanity thing." Adele from Persnickety Snark

"Ummm.....well....I did write a good review once for a book I wasn't crazy about because I had gotten too close to the author. I felt icky afterwards and swore to never do it again!" Andye from Reading Teen

"I've sworn that I would never lie about how I felt about a book, even if I'm friends with the author (and I've never done this). Admittedly, it's caused authors to cease contact with me after they read my review, but I'd rather be honest and lose a potential friend than lie or even not post a review (because I think not posting a review is akin to lying and is taking the cowardly way out)." Trish from Hey Lady! Whatcha Reading?