Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater: Review

By: Maggie Stiefvater

Synopsis (From Goodreads):
For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human ... until the cold makes him shift back again.

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.

My Review:
I think I'm one of the last people to read and review this book. I'd heard a lot about this book and I was a little leery about reading a book with a werewolf romance. 

I'm going to be completely honest here and say that this book was a little hyped up for me. I liked where Stiefvater went with the werewolf lore. It was a really interesting take and very believable. In fact, her interpretation of the changing process and the wolf relationship was one of the most tragic things I'd read in a long time.


But, I just wasn't sold on a lot of the other aspects of the book. Sam and Grace's relationship was just a little too weird for me. I am not a fan of female protagonists that are obsessed with their boyfriends. Grace's other relationships just died when she met Sam. It made the other relationships seem very unbelievable to me. I also wasn't very impressed with the live-in boyfriend thing. But, I must say that the relationship was MUCH better handled than in Twilight. It was a lot more mature, and less gag-worthy.

Also, the pace was just a little too slow for me. It seemed like chapter after chapter dragged on without continuing the plot. Once the book got going it was a little better, and I liked the ending of the book a lot, but I'm not sure it was worth all the pages I had to read to get to it.

However, this book was extremely well written. I loved the chapter titles that indicated the changes in the season and the temperature. After I got through the first half of the book, things really started to pick up and I found myself wondering how they were going to come out in the end. And never once did the dialogue seem forced or trite.

Because of this, I anxiously await the sequel, Linger.

Book-A-Likes: Twilight by Stephenie Meyer, The Dark Divine by Bree Despain, Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

My Rating:



Profanity: None
Drugs and Alcohol: None
Sexuality: Moderate
Violence: Mild