What If Wednesday: "What If He's Dead?"

Great. Thanks. Yeah. "What if he's dead?" This was the ever-so-thoughtful musing of a rather lofty acquaintance.  "Maybe your soul mate isn't even of this world. What then?"

I imagine the look on my face was something between dumbfounded and horrified. Now, I've joked about this before, mainly in the vein of that film, City of Angels, where Nick Cage (angel) falls in love with Meg Ryan (human)--beautiful and really, really depressing (you know if you've seen the film). So, yes, I've contemplated the idea, but it's always been fleeting at best and never really something I seriously considered...until Lofty Lee verbally vomited all over my chicken Cesar salad.

"Sooo, what if he's dead?" asked Lofty Lee.

She sure isn't giving this one up.  "I really don't know. Maybe he'll come come back or reincarnate within someone else currently living. How's that?" I said, half joking, half ticked.

"Well, by the time he reincarnates, you'll be ancient, according to my beliefs on reincarnation," she said, far too seriously. Lofty Lee is very...literal...or scientific, take your pick.

"Ah, well, there you go then. I'll live a long, loveless life with nothing but my Marc Jacobs' bags to keep me company." This was my attempt to subtly end the conversation.

"Yes, speaking of those...don't you think they are a little overpriced?"

Well, isn't she a peach.

Did I mention she carries a Prada (not a knock-off)? Yeah. 

I'm thinking she's trying to start a battle of the designer handbags. I decided to take the high road...sort-of.  

Clearing my throat, I asked, "Do you happen to have change for a hundred?" I knew she would have to place her Prada on the table, out in the open.

"Of course," she said, digging through her Prada for her wallet.

"Really nice matching Prada bag and wallet," I said casually...and genuinely (they were gorgeous). 

Her face turning a truly embarrassing shade of  red, Lofty Lee coyly replied, "Oh, yes, thank you."

No one shames Marc Jacobs or my handbags...or suggests my soul mate might be dead.