Pottermore Trail of Clues



Update 6/19: Each day has increased the owls. I'm going to try to start an owl count to see if there's any rhyme or reason to the number:

6/16: 5
6/17: 7
6/18: 11
6/19: 15

Please let me know if I missed anything.

Also, even though I'd love it to be an interactive encylopedia, I'm starting to think those who believe it to be a Multi-player Online Roleplaying Exerience may be correct. Notice the letters. PotterMORE.


Update 6/17: I do think she's planning on stringing us along for a whole week, revealing one new clue each day. I'm eager to see what today's holds! I bet somewhere down the line she'll include a reaction from one of the fansites who have viewed Pottermore.

I posted this in comments in response to a question on why I thought JK Rowling would give more clues during this week of waiting for Pottermore, but thought more readers may catch it better up here:

JFeijten -- Of course I truly don't know, I'm guessing along with everyone else, it just makes sense to me from my understanding of how JK Rowling works. For many years I've studied her writing techniques, and one of the key things she excels at is slyly hiding clues to her mysteries, stringing them along throughout the stories, and keeping the reader guessing. Back when she was releasing info during the series, like the next book title or a cover, she played a game with the reader to obtain that info, but then the cover or title was released immediately. Why would she play this game and keep us looking at an empty website a whole week before revealing it? My guess is because she has more games to play with us during that time. I could be wrong, but I suspect she'll reveal at least a couple more hints before the big reveal. She builds excitement and tension so much better that way -- just like in the books.

Update 6/16:  JK Rowling has released a Youtube video that essentially just says, wait 6 more days!

http://www.youtube.com/JKRowlingAnnounces

The owls are gathering?  It's all in her name rather than Warner's?  In her world, owls gather to spread the news.  Please let it be something that includes the encyclopedia!

Six more days would be around June 22.  Isn't that the solstice this year?  goes to check...No, solstice on 21st.

So, the colors remind me of right before dawn...the owls are watching...The first sign of magic in Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone was an owl. The owls are gathering to carry the news at the dawn of a new day in Potterdom.  But what exactly will it be?

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I favor the encyclopedia idea myself. I think it will be a virtual, interactive online encyclopedia that will give her fans MORE of all the Potter facts, references, and trivia that she could not work into the books.


Original post started here:
If there's one thing I've learned from studying JK Rowling's writing techniques, it's that she never does anything without a deeper meaning! This StreetView game she's played with her fans today is so typically JKR. And to understand exactly what Pottermore will be, we need to carefully examine each clue. Therefore, I have listed them all below with the notes (my analysis follows below the list!):


Leaky Cauldron: 42.523356,-70.890698 -- "E"
Note: Salem - The Salem Witches' Institute visited the Quidditch World Cup.

MuggleNet: 51.530377,-0.123259 -- "T"
Note: King's Cross - the Hogwarts Express leaves from platform nine and three-quarters.

Harry Potter Xperts: -34.410362,150.900671 -- "O"
Note: Australia - The Wollongong Warriors are a Quidditch team referenced in the book 'Quidditch Through the Ages.'

HPANA: -29.239004,24.507602 -- "T"
Note: The Erumpent - whose horn contains a deadly fluid that can make objects explode at the slightest touch (one of which destroyed the Lovegood house) - is originally from Africa.

BlogHogwarts: 34.730748,137.383786 -- "O"
Note: Japan - Toyohashi Tengu is a Quidditch team referenced in the book ‘Quidditch through the Ages.’

UniversHarryPotter: 29.952313,-90.067849 -- "P"
Note: New Orleans - The Phoenix Rising Convention in New Orleans. One of the largest Harry Potter fan conventions.

Clubedoslugue: -23.547149, -46.520266 -- "E"
Note: Brazil - The location of an eagle-eyed fan site which spotted a recent trademark registration.

Snitch Seeker: 51.781383,-2.56844 -- "R"
Note: Forest of Dean - The beautiful forest where Harry & Ron reunite in the Deathly Hallows.

Portus: 43.640408,-79.388795 -- "R"
Note: Toronto Skydome - Where J.K. Rowling achieved the world record for a public reading event.

PotterMore twitter (@Pottermore): 53.476311,-2.22971 -- "M"
Note: Manchester Station - The train line between Manchester and London is where J.K. Rowling first conceived the idea of Harry Potter.

If you put all these clues together we have:

  1. fansites from all over the world in various languages
  2. in places that hold meaning to JKR's story or career, with notes on
  3. information about the books
  4. information about JK Rowling and her publishing career
  5. information about extra pieces to her work (Magical Creatures and Quidditch Through the Ages)
  6. information about fandom

To me, all of these spell out ENCYCLOPEDIA. What would you expect to find in a Harry Potter encyclopedia? All of the above!!

JKR once said in an interview that fans wanted way MORE info on her world and characters than she could provide in a book. I think she's found a fun and entertaining way to make this more detailed information readily accessible. It sounds to me like Pottermore will be an interactive virtual world filled with all the details JKR could not fit into her massive tome.

I know the trademark site lists Pottermore as something like a social media or RPG site, but I have a hard time believing that JKR would have a website dedicated to social media and RPG'ing in HER name.  To me, that sounds like something that would come from Warner.  However, all of the above could be included in Pottermore alongside the encyclopedic information.

In other words, PotterMore could be Potter Forever More!

But I'm only guessing, of course. What do you think? Where does this trail of clues lead you?