The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan: Review

The Forest of Hands and Teeth
By: Carrie Ryan
Received from the library

Synopsis (from Goodreads): In Mary's world there are simple truths.

The Sisterhood always knows best.
The Guardians will protect and serve.
The Unconsecrated will never relent.
And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth.

But, slowly, Mary's truths are failing her. She's learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future-between the one she loves and the one who loves her.

And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?

My Review: This book scared the living daylights out of me. Because I work full-time, the only time I really have to read is in the evenings. As I've mentioned before, reading about zombies before bed gives me nightmares. And yes, admitting that makes me feel like I'm 3 instead of 23.  Carrie Ryan did a fantastic job creating a spooky environment that kept me on my toes throughout the entire book. I had a hard time separating myself from this book, and it almost felt like there was "something" in the air. It was like the book was unconsecrated, bit me, and I was compelled to not put it down until I had read it to the end. Because if I stopped, something horrible might happen.

About the love triangle. I usually hate them. However, the one between Mary, Travis and Harry is about as close as I'll ever get to liking one. Or even understanding one. Like Katniss in The Hunger Games, Mary is truly trapped. However, after having read the book, I think that I'm on Harry's side. Travis really confused me, and I really couldn't figure out why Mary felt such an attachment to him.

A word of warning. This book is gruesome. It's sad, lonely, and full of death. This is not a book for young readers. You will be left pondering life, and what happens after death.

I was not satisfied by the ending. In many ways this book was just too dark for me. But, it was still so good and gripping that I have to give it a good rating.

I hope that more things will be explained in the second book. I want to know more about the Sisterhood (Not the traveling pants kind) and Gabrielle. I know there must be more to that story, but much like Mary, I felt lost and confused.

If you like sitting on the edge of your seat while watching a scary movie, this book is for you. (I seriously hope they don't make this book into a movie, yikes!) Okay, so I looked on IMDB, and it looks like they are fast-tracking this book to a 2011 release. Oh dear.

My Rating:
 

Profanity:  None
Sexuality: None
Drugs and Alcohol: None
Violence: Lots and lots

Book-a-likes: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Mary has a similar character to Katniss, although she is not nearly as in control of things as Katniss is. And instead of an oppressive capitol and hunger to deal with, you've got the Sisterhood and zombies.