Why Wednesday #3: Why Not One-Night Stand It?

This question is usually my fault; it always seems to follow one of my "32 year-old virgin" rants. 

A close friend or family member will say, "Just go out and have a one night stand, if you're feeling crappy about it taking so long. You can always just get it taken care of, you know." 

I'll follow with, "No, I want love."

Their response? Some version of: "I know, but maybe just get the physical part over with--it doesn't have to be perfect. Then, when you find love, you'll be past the burden of having to tell them and you can just enjoy, no nerves."

I can't honestly say their logic doesn't have some semblance of sense to it: I get the stigma off my back, I don't have to fear telling the man I'm seeing about my choice, and I would likely feel more relaxed with the one I'm in love with. Here's the catch: would I be able to look at myself in the mirror the next day? Probably not, no. Once I meet the one, would I regret not waiting for him? Yes, without question.

So, even though one night might relieve a few stresses in my life, in the long run, I'm certain it would only add more stress and regret. 

I want love. Period. End of discussion. That's just me, silly as it seems.