Weekly Digest: August 22

I've decided to go ahead and combine In My Mailbox and It's Monday! What Are You Reading? into one post each week. It's nice to summarize all my weekly content and do all the announcements in one post.

First of all, I went to the Writing for Charity evening extravaganza last night. It was an extravaganza to be sure.  I went for a couple reasons. One, Natasha from Maw Books had promised I could borrow FORGE  from her. Two, there was a silent auction, and a character in one of Jessica Day George's books was up for grabs.

I totally screwed up on the time, and thought it started at 7 instead of 6. So, at 5:20 I scurried out the door. (I live about an hour away from where the event was being held.  I had to stop and get gas. As I was pumping, this elderly gentleman and his wife got out of their car, and struck up a conversation with me. I've never met them before in my life. However, this happens to me pretty frequently, so I wasn't that alarmed.  They asked where I was headed. I told them a little about the Writing for Charity event, and they were really interested in it. After I finished explaining that some of these kids that will be receiving these books have never owned a book in their lives, he pulled out two $100 bills and gave them to me. He asked me to donate them. I was very moved.  It was certainly a miracle.

So, I went to the extravaganza. Divine Comedy did a really funny show. James Dashner and Shannon Hale were fantastic. The panel of authors was great! There was Bree Despain, Brandon Sanderson, Brandon Mull, Ally Condie, Jessica Day George, Sara Zarr, and probably some other people I am missing. If you weren't there, you missed this:



I also met up with Natasha from Maw Books, Suey from It's All About Books, and Heather from Fire and Ice.

I did quite well in the silent auction department as well. I won the Jessica Day George character. And, after speaking with her, decided that I was going to be a cavalry office in THE HORSE BRIGADE.  It's going to be awesome.

I also won a prize pack from Bree Despain. It had a signed copy of THE DARK DIVINE, and a signed ARC of THE LOST SAINT, plus chocolate, nail polish, and other bath stuff, and a pretty necklace. Very cool.

I got MATCHED, THE SCORCH TRIALS, and DRAGON FLIGHT signed by their authors. James Dashner tried to keep my copy of SCORCH TRIALS. Which was weird since he wrote the book. I ended up lending it to Natasha anyway.

In my mailbox I received:

From Paperbackswap.com:
Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Beastly by Alex Flinn (read it last year, but wanted a copy to lend out)
Eat, Pray Love: One Woman's Search for Everything.... by Elizabeth Gilbert
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen, Seth Grahame-Smith

For Review:
Paranormalcy by Kiersten White
Cloaked by Alex Flinn
The Fool's Girl by Celia Rees
Cate of the Lost Colony by Lisa Klein
Secondhand Charm by Julie Berry
Matched by Ally Condie (I gave this copy, signed, to my coblogger, Julie to read to her English class)

Won in contests:
Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (SIGNED!)
I Am Number Four t-shirt from HarperTeen


Posts Last Week:

Blogger Confidential
Writing for Charity Event

Upcoming this Week:
I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You/Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy by Ally Carter mini reviews

Blogger Confidential

Rose Sees Red by Cecil Castellucci review

Ask HTMiLy: Creating a blog button

What to read after Mockingjay

*note* I will be in Washington, DC from August 24-29. I'll have limited access to email, but will respond when I can.

If you are in the DC area and want to get together for dinner or something, let me know!