Liar Society by Lisa and Laura Roecker: Review

The Liar Society
by: Lisa and Laura Roecker

Format: Paperback, 368 pages
Published: March 1, 2011; Sourcebooks Fire
Source: ARC from Author
Challenges: Debut Author Challenge

author blog | author twitter | book website

Synopsis (from Goodreads): Kate Lowry didn't think dead best friends could send e-mails. But when she gets an e-mail from Grace, she’s not so sure.

To: KateLowry@pemberlybrown.edu
Sent: Sun 9/14 11:59 PM
From: GraceLee@pemberlybrown.edu
Subject: (no subject)

Kate,
I'm here…
sort of.
Find Cameron.
He knows.
I shouldn't be writing.
Don't tell.
They'll hurt you.

Now Kate has no choice but to prove once and for all that Grace’s death was more than just a tragic accident. But secrets haunt the halls of her elite private school. Secrets people will do anything to protect. Even if it means getting rid of the girl trying to solve a murder...

My Review:
First thing I did after reading this book? Tried to send an email to Kate Lowry. For the record, it bounced back.

The murder mystery and secret society aspect of this book was so much fun. There is something very intriguing about a private school and the mystery there-in. I've noticed a lot more of these kinds of books popping up lately, so it seems I'm not the only one who enjoys them.

I have one complaint that I have to air early on. I was really not very happy with Kate's treatment of Seth. I feel like for much of the book she really used him, and it didn't seem like she repented much by the end.  I've had my fair share of Seth's in my life. One in particular is coming to mind at the moment. He just wouldn't get the hint. Seriously. Every year I had to tell him that I didn't want to date him. And guess what, every year I did just that. Because pretending to like someone to get something out of them, no matter how trivial, is really wrong. This put a pretty serious dent in my relationship with Kate.  I think by the end of the book, she did at least tone it down a bit. And I'll step down off my soapbox now.

One aspect of the book that really tugged at my heartstrings was how much Kate missed Grace. I can't imagine what it would be like to lose a friend, especially in such a tragic way that could have been prevented. I also thought that the loss of her other best friend in a more mental way just added to the grief.

But, this book was mostly just a lot of fun. There's a lot of witty banter and fun action that made me laugh. Liam was a nice balance of nice guy and rugged bad guy, which really doesn't happen for me often.

Girls who love Nancy Drew will love this series. Kate is a proactive protagonist, and it will be fun to see what else comes from Lisa and Laura.

My Rating: