The "Good Guys" of YA Literature

We all know the Edwards and the Jacobs. The Patches, Adams and Jaces. The "Bad Boys" of YA Literature.

But, what about the good guys? The ones that are fiercely loyal and sweet. They aren't dangerous and won't kill you, and yet they steal our heart anyway.

Maybe it's because I tended to date the jerks in high school and even into college, but I can't really fall for the bad boys in literature. But, it probably has a lot more to do with the fact that I married a very good guy.

Here are my favorite Good Guys from YA Literature:
1. Gilbert Blythe: Anne of Green Gables
  You knew from the very beginning that he was meant for Anne. He's there for her through everything. He gives up his teaching position at the Avonlea school for her so she can still live at Green Gables and take care of Marilla. He works hard through medical school so he can support her once their married. (Because we all knew they were going to end up together).


2. Laurie: Little Women
I think that one of the biggest disappointments in literature for me was that Laurie and Jo didn't get together. Of course, I can understand why Louisa May Alcott didn't write the story that way, but I every time I read that book I hope it will turn out differently.

Laurie is handsome and smart, albeit a little lazy. But, he's a comfort to Jo and a protector of her and her sisters while their father is away at war.







3. Peeta: Hunger Games
Team Peeta or Team Gale? Well, officially, I'm team Katniss. I want her to end up with whoever she wants. (Cop out answer, I know).

Peeta is such a fantastic character. He'll do anything to make sure Katniss gets out of the hunger games alive, even though he knows that means sacrificing himself.

4. Nat: Witch of Blackbird Pond
For those of you who haven't read this book, here's a synopsis from Goodreads:
A high-spirited teenage girl rebels against the narrow-minded ways of Puritan Connecticut and befriends a lonely old woman who is subsequently accused of being a witch.
This romance is probably a little lesser known since this is an older book. But, I remember reading this book in middle school and then reading the ending over and over again because I loved it so much.


Yes, I picked Matthew McFadyen over Collin Firth.
5. Mr. Darcy: Pride and Prejudice
Who didn't love Mr. Darcy? There just aren't enough good English gentlemen to go around, is there?
Mr. Darcy's love for Elizabeth Bennett and what he does throughout the book to win her love is the stuff dreams are made of.

6. Calvin O'Keefe: A Wrinkle in Time
Calvin and Meg's relationship is really awesome. Calvin is one of the popular boys at school, and is on the basketball team. He doesn't hesitate to join Meg in finding her father and Charles Wallace. He ends up loving Meg's family even more than his own. (Not surprising given his home life)

I haven't read the rest of the series, but I probably should some day since I know that their relationship continues in the subsequent books.

Who is your favorite "Good Guy"?