Armchair BEA: BBC Roundtable Writing and Building Content

First of all, thanks to everyone who participated in the Twitter party. It was a huge success! I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

Today I want to talk a little about writing and building content.  This is arguably one of the most important things in blogging. I mean, if you don't have good content, people are not going to come back.

So, how do you keep your content fresh without spending every waking minute devoted to your blog?

Planning

I spend a little time each week determining a schedule of posts. I try to find a good balance between memes, reviews, and other book-related posts. Sometimes that can be hard to do, especially in weeks where I don't read a lot. I try to have at least one book review ready to go for those days when I just don't have the time to craft a new post. But, ultimately, if you are posting at least once a week, you are doing pretty well.

So, I'm going to list a few things that I've learned over the last year about blogging to keep your content fresh.

  • Rotate your memes. You don't have to do each meme every week. Try doing In My Mailbox every other week.
  • Come up with one thought-provoking post once a week. (Or once a month if you are a less frequent blogger). They get lots of comments and get people thinking.
  • Invite bloggers and authors to do guest posts. Guest posts are fantastic because you don't have to write them. Bloggers and authors are usually flattered to be asked to guest post for you.
  • Pay special attention to a reader. Did you get an awesome comment from someone? Feature the comment and write a post about it. Find an awesome new blog. Blog about it!
  • Look at what other bloggers are writing about and put your own spin on it. A few weeks back people were posting all about how much they loved blogging. Once you follow a lot of blogs you start to notice themes in posting. 
May your content always be fresh and may your readers flow in like milk and honey in the promised land.