Cate of the Lost Colony by Lisa Klein: Review

Cate of the Lost Colony
By: Lisa Klein
Copy received from Bloomsbury for review

Synopsis (From Goodreads): The greatest unsolved mystery of American history--what happened to all the colonists who landed on Roanoke Island in 1587? This novel traces the fortunes and misfortunes of one Cate Archer, banished to Virginia by a jealous Queen Elizabeth because of her dalliance with Sir Walter Ralegh. What will be her fate in this dangerous New World?

My Review: I love good historical fiction. And this was good historical fiction.  Lisa Klien did a fantastic job of walking that fine line between fact and fiction.  I was so excited about the concept of this book. The Roanoke colony mystery captured my interest when I took American History in High School. I really had high hopes for this book that it would fill in some of the blanks that my textbook left behind. Cate of the Lost Colony definitely delivered.


Cate reminded me a lot of Kit from The Witch from Blackbird Pond.  She was spunky, doesn't quite fit in, but has a heart of gold.  I really enjoyed reading her story, and how she went from being a girl who would do anything to please the Queen, to a girl that can take care of herself and her friends.  There was no task to great for her, whether it was learning a new language, or befriending a person or entire culture that was foreign and unfriendly.


I wasn't as interested in Ralegh's story.  I've read a few review that didn't like the journal-style voice for him.  I don't know that there would have been any way that his story could have been written that would have made me like Ralegh.  He was definitely an opportunist, and cared only about his own interests. What a tool.


But, the unsung hero of this book was definitely Manteo. He straddled both world. His story was engaging from the very beginning, and I was rooting for him the whole time.  I was fully invested in hoping that he would be able to resolve differences between his people and the settlers. Of course, knowing history, I had a pretty good idea about how it was all going to turn out, but it was thrilling all the same.


My Rating:
 

Profanity: None
Sexuality: Mild
Violence: Mild
Drugs and Alcohol: None