Firelight Character Interview: Jacinda

Interview with Jacinda
By: Sophie Jordan

About Jacinda: With her rare ability to breathe fire, Jacinda is special even among the draki—the descendants of dragons who can shift between human and dragon forms. But when Jacinda’s rebelliousness leads her family to flee into the human world, she struggles to adapt, even as her draki spirit fades. The one thing that revives it is Will, whose family hunts her kind. Jacinda can’t resist getting closer to him, even though she knows she’s risking not only her life but the draki’s most closely guarded secret.

If you had your mother and sister here and could tell them exactly what you feel right now, what would you say?

I guess I would start with: I’m sorry. You see, things don’t happen the way I planned. I really wanted things to work out in a way that we could all be happy. I know they both love me … but sometimes … well. I could only do what feels right in my heart. I’m just sorry following my instincts (and dreams) means I have to crush theirs.

Sorry for being so cryptic, but that’s all I can say or Sophie Jordan’s going get really mad at me…
 
Your sister Tamra never manifested. However, if she had, what type of Draki do you think she would be?

It’s almost painful to consider because for a long time we all waited... hoping, expecting Tamra to manifest. It was such a disappointment she never did. When it turned out I was a fire-breather, everyone pretty much expected she would be, too. We’re twins, after all. But I guess, it would have been more likely that she would have been an onyx or earth draki. They’re the most common draki. At least the majority of the pride is either one of these.

Do you ever eat in your draki form? If so, what do you eat?

I can eat the things I eat when a human, but I’m just usually in human form when eating, just for convenience sake. When am I draki, I’m usually enjoying myself flying.

What are the top three things you would like people to know about Draki (no hunters listening, promise!)

Well, number one, assuming I can let people know we exist (a HUGE no-no!) would be letting them know we do exist. We aren’t myth. We’re real and we aren’t dragons either … like hunters think we are. We’re draki. That’s different. We’re different. We’re what dragons have involved into over the millennia.

Number two: I guess is that we’re not animals. We have thoughts, and hearts, and ambitions just like humans do.

Number three: I would want them to know what the hunters are doing to us … I would want to expose the enkros, too, so we could put a stop to them.

In your new high school life you encounter some pretty mean-spirited girls and cliques. Do situations like that occur in the Draki world? How are they handled?

Mean people exist everywhere. Nasty girls aren’t a new thing, but most everyone in my pride is nice to me. Too nice. When they look at me they see the fire-breather, and that makes them treat me almost like a rock star in their midst. Except for Miram. Cassian’s sister has always had issues with me, and I know it has to do with how much her father and brother focus their attention on me. And maybe I can understand her resentment. I just wish she wasn’t such a brat to me.


Thank you for joining us Jacinda!

Read more about Jacinda by purchasing FIRELIGHT on September 7