Nook or Kindle: The Great E-Reader Decision

This post could also be titled, "How I Chose my E-Reader."

I'm hoping that my experience will be helpful to those of you who are considering purchasing an e-reader.

I really didn't have an interest in getting an e-reader until this summer during the Kindle/Nook price wars. I decided I wanted an e-reader because:
  • I read a lot.
  • I have limited space for physical books
  • E-books are cheaper (generally)
  • Having access to books when I travel without having a lot of extra luggage
  • Publishers switching to e-galleys as a form of ARC distribution
Now, these reasons may not apply to you. But, I felt like those were good enough reasons for me to consider investing in an e-reader.

So, based on those reasons I wanted a reader that would fit my needs.  My choices were between the Nook and the Kindle.

Kindle

Pros:
  • Weight and size. The Kindle is light, and has a large viewing area for its size.  It's also very thin.
  • Superior e-ink technology. The difference between the Kindle and the Nook in e-ink technology is noticeable. The Kindle has a slightly faster refresh time as well.
  • Longer battery life
  • Slightly lower price
Cons
  • Is not compatible with the EPub format used by the google ebook store. Also not compatible with the Adobe Digital Editions format used by Simon and Schuster Galley Grab program.
  • Does not have the lending option. (Amazon has announced that they will have it by the end of the year, so that wasn't that big of a deal)
Nook

Pros
  • Compatible with the Epub and Adobe Digital Editions formats.
  • Color touch navigation screen
  • In-store support at Barnes and Noble
  • More friends have the Nook so I can borrow and lend books.
  • Expandable memory with MicroSD cards
Cons
  • Heavier than the Kindle
  • Shorter battery life
  • The wi-fi version is white (silly, I know, but I love the look of the graphite Kindle)
Ultimately, I chose a Nook. My husband had already bought me a Kindle, so I actually just gave it to him. :)  For me, the portability of formats was the most important thing.  I needed something that was compatible with my e-galleys, because I don't know that I'll be actually buying a whole lot of books.

I don't anticipate my Nook replacing my current library any time soon. Really, it's just a part of my entire reading experience. I still plan on using the library, and buying real books.

And, the most important decision... The name of my new Nook is Hermoine.