Stereotype Slayer #11: Virgins Are Bookworms

Um, well, this one is....TRUE! I was, am, and will always be a bookworm. Now, I don't particularly care for the term "bookworm." I mean, I'm not a bug or a bore (at least, I don't think I am...never been called annoying, like a fly, or boring or dull like a stereotypical book nerd).

Here's what: I love to read. I love books. I love writing. Not thinking this is something specific to virgins, but, alas, we get stamped with the "bookworm" label every time, which usually equates to one big yawn.

Yes, I was a total Hermione in school. Remember the star chart (or equivalent) when you were in kindergarten or preschool? You know, where Teacher would put a gold, silver, red, or green star sticker next to your name? Well, my Hermione-like behavior started the moment I saw a red star next to my name. Blasphemy! Where's my dang gold star?! Evil teacher-lady! From that second, I grew obsessed with getting gold stars, then check-pluses, then check-check-plus-pluses, then, eventually, A's.

I'm not ashamed of working hard in school. I had a very specific goal, which required a whole lot of schooling, exams, etc. And you know what? I did it. I worked hard, fought through the peer pressure, shed countless tears, and achieved my goal. It was a lonely, stressful road, I can tell you that; my friends always referred to me as "so disciplined," and some guys would try and sweet-talk me into helping them with their studies.

I never did the whole mega-dork-school-kid thing, but I was a worker...and I still am.  If that makes me a bookworm or book nerd, so be it. I'll proudly wear that badge, as I'm sure many, many non-virgins will as well. 

Stereotype #11: PROUDLY AFFIRMED