Guest Post: Mel's Books and Info on Libraries and Librarians

Today's Guest Post is by Melissa from Mel's Books and Info.

From Mel's blog:

I am the Teen Librarian at a public library and have always loved to read. I focus mostly on teen titles, but I do have a few favorite adult authors that I tend to follow. I love to review the books I read and recommend them to others.


 
Ten Things I Wish People Knew About the Library and Librarians

1. We Love Our Jobs
The first thing that comes to mind when I think about what I wish people knew about librarians is that most of your librarians do the job because they love it.  Some people seem to think we are overpaid, but let me assure that is far from the truth especially when you consider that most librarians have to have a Master's degree to even work for the library.  No, we are really here because we love it.  We love books, we love uniting a person with the perfect book for them, and we love helping them find exactly what they need.  We love to see our patrons walk away satisfied and happy with a book they will enjoy. 

2.  We Love to Talk Books
We love patrons who return and tell us about the books or information we helped them find.  I love it when someone comes to me and tells me about the book I helped them with.  I don't care whether they liked it or not, I like hearing what they thought about it.  Of course, it is always better when they like the book, but if they didn't I am always willing to try again. 

3.  We are Fiscally Responsible
I wish people could know how fiscally responsible libraries really are.  My library is in the middle of a building project right now, and we have been criticized about building during a recession.  Our library saved money for years for this specific purpose, and all the money used on the building project was money we saved. We did not ask for loans or tax increases.  Also, building during the recession has helped out our community by saving money on contracting and building supplies while also creating jobs.  We also have to balance our budget responsibly each year to make sure that the patrons get the most bang for their buck.  We want to be the best, and we are experts at finding a good deal.

4.  We Want to Answer Your Questions
We love to answer questions, which is why we do what we do.  I work at our library's reference desk the majority of my workday, and the most brilliant thing about it, is that I never know what I am going to be asked next.  I have had some of the most hilarious questions, and some of the most serious ones.  My job is to help our library patrons find the answers they need, and I love doing it.  I always describe my job as one big scavenger hunt.  We don't know everything, but chances are we usually know how to find it.

5.  We Aren't Allowed to Read on the Job
One thing that always surprises our patrons when I tell them is that despite appearances, librarians are not allowed to read books on the job.  Funny, I know.  You would think that we would have all the time in the world to read because we work in a library.  On the contrary, we are not allowed to read on the job because our job is to help the patron.  So all the reading we do, we do on our own time because we love to. 

6.  Throw Out Those Old Stereotypes
Today's librarians come in all shapes, sizes, and ages.  We are not the stodgy librarian stereotype you so often see.  My favorite movie librarian of all time is Evelyn from the Mummy, because she was the opposite of that stereotype.  Yes, librarians do age, but we don't all wear buns and reading glasses.  As for the famous librarian shushing finger to the lips motion, did you know that shushing someone is a taboo in the library that will have all your fellow librarians laughing at you?  I am a young 30 something who would prefer to wear jeans and a t-shirt than standard work clothes and would, if our dress code didn't prohibit it.  I have never shushed anyone.  Librarians are not scary.  We are friendly and helpful, but we are people too and even we have down days.  Please come see us and ask a question, or tell us about what you are reading.  We love it when you stop by and talk to us.  You never know you might make our day!     

7.  Yes, People Really Do Steal and Vandalize Library Materials
One of the things that troubles librarians and libraries the most is when people steal or don't return our materials.  Our budgets are very limited and we do what we can to stretch them as far as they go, but sometimes we can't replace the items we lose.  We just don't have the funds.  We check out our materials for free, the least that can be done is to return those materials.  People always seem surprised when I mention that people steal and vandalize our materials.  It happens, even in the nicest communities.  It troubles me when I buy a book for our teen collection and I find out that it was stolen.  I try to think of it as someone needing that book more than we did, but what saddens me the most is that many others won't be able to read that book anymore. 

8.  We Don't Like Every Book We Buy For the Library
As a book selector for my library I often buy books I don't like.  I do that because I know my patrons will like them.  It is my job to make sure that the collection has a little bit for everyone.  I once read a librarian t-shirt that said, "If I am not offending someone, I am not doing my job."  I am happy to get a good diversity of books, even if I myself am offended by them.

9.  Libraries Are More Than Just Books
Today's library is more than just books.  We have computers, music, movies, downloads, audio books, and databases.   A library is more than just a building; it can be a cultural center, and a community asset.  It is the people who work there, and the patrons who support it. 

10.  Library Programs Take Months to Prepare
Library programs are planned months in advance.  Most people wonder why we canĂ­t turn around and have a program on their suggested topic the following week.  Well, it is because our programs are planned way in advance so we can be sure we have the appropriate advertising, rooms booked, supplies, guest speakers, and anything else we might need in order to make the program successful.  This also has a budgeting aspect to it too.  We want to do great programs, but we also have to keep a close eye on costs so that the programs and supplies are all within our budget.  At my library we start planning for Summer Reading Club as soon as this year's Summer Reading Club ends.  My fall program schedule is due this week.  So programs are literally scheduled months in advance. 

Libraries and librarians love to hear from our patrons, we like to help.  Stop in and say hi to your librarians the next time you are in the library.