Guest Post: Melina at Reading Vacation on Great Illustrated Classics

Today's Guest Post is from Melina at Reading Vacation.

From Melina's blog:
I am a ten-year-old girl who LOVES school and reading. I review Middle Grade and YA books for fun. Come take a Reading Vacation with me!






I discovered the Great Illustrated Classics at my library last summer.  These books are super special because they are children’s versions of classic books.  They have large print and a black-and-white drawing on every-other page, so they are easy and fun to read.

Once I got started reading them, I had a hard time stopping.  I am certain that I checked out every single book in this series that my library carried.  The children’s librarian used to giggle at me when I would come to the counter with a big pile of these books every week.  I was obsessed. 

There are so many classics to choose from.  Some are geared toward boys – Treasure Island, Dracula, Gulliver’s Travels, Robin Hood, and The Three Musketeers.  My brother has read The Swiss Family Robinson, The Time Machine, and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.  He was seven when he read them, and he was really proud to be reading classic chapter books.

It should be no surprise to you that some of my favorites were the girlie classics.  In particular, I adored Pollyanna, Anne of Green Gables, Heidi, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, and The House of the Seven Gables.  There are even books that have several short stories in them like Cinderella and Snow White.

Oops, sorry for all the lists, but I REALLY liked so many of these books.  It is obvious why they are classics and I enjoyed every single page.  You can learn more about the Great Illustrated Classics here.  I wish they were coming out with more!

Melina at Reading Vacation