Blogger Confidential: Reading Deal Breakers


Have you ever been faced with an issue while reading or blogging and thought: I wonder what other bloggers think about this?  No matter what genre or audience you blog for, we all face the same problems.  Are you a publisher or author wondering what goes on in a blogger's (and by extension a reader's) head?

Blogger confidential is a series of 12 questions asked to 11 bloggers about the nitty gritty details of blogging. Everything from what prompts a blogger to pick up a book, to what happens when a book doesn't live up to its hype.  This series was inspired by Wastepaper Prose's Author Insight series.

If you feel inspired by any of these questions, leave your answer in the comments, or create your own post!

This week's question:

What are deal breakers that you encounter when reading a book that would cause you to stop reading?

"There are very few deal breakers for me. Generally speaking, if the novel does not fully capture my attention, or if I just have a hard time relating to the novel, those could be deal breakers. Things that also stop me from reading a novel is if something about the book annoys me. Sometimes I will come across a character or a situation that just rubs me the wrong way, and if that happens, I try to give the novel the benefit of the doubt. If the issue still continues, I may stop reading it. But it this happens so rarely for me." Kate from The Neverending Shelf

"Hmm... I don't really have a list to tell you the truth. I've probably only not finished about 2-3 books in the last couple of years and usually because they were just boring. I guess I haven't come across a deal breaker yet, but my guess is that I'll know when I see it." Natasha from Maw Books

"If I can’t connect with any of the characters, I find my attention wandering… usually to other books that I’d rather be reading. And, as any bookworm will attest, with such a large to-be-read pile, I really don’t want to spend time reading a book I don’t enjoy." Sara from The Hiding Spot

"Well, I hate to feel bored. I also hate to see strong anti-religious messages in the subtext." Amy from My Friend Amy

"Poor, inconsistent, unbelievable, unengrossing writing. The writer should exude the fact that he/she knows his/her fictional world inside and out. It doesn't matter how much eventually ends up on the paper: the reader has to detect your absolute confidence in your own world. If that's not there, and other, sloppy things, such as inconsistent POVs, thought processes, and turns of speech are, then I'm sorry, but I feel like I'm reading a first draft, and I'd rather not continue pretending to read it like a finished book." Steph from Steph Su Reads

"I love reading other people’s answers to this question! I find it fascinating that they are able to distill their reading tastes and/or requirements into a succinct, sometimes bulleted list. I don’t think I’m quite that formulaic in my thinking when it comes to my likes and dislikes. But I will say this, if I don’t care about the main character(s), it’s a perfect slog to get through the book. This doesn’t mean I have to want to marry them and have their love/demon/werechild. It just means I care about following them where they go. I am invested in their wellbeing, whether they are admirable or not. Something about them and the way they are portrayed connects with something in me and without that—the relationship is doomed." Angie from Angieville

"Too much unnecessary profanity or intimate situations. I am of the belief that these are absolutely not necessary to make a book great, in fact one of my favorite series of books has neither. If these situations do appear in a book, they better be in context with the characters actual plot and not 'just because.'" Danielle from There's a Book

"I don't have any deal breakers other than not enjoying the story. I assume that if something is in a book that I've chosen, it's there because the author purposefully put it there, not because it's gratuitous. There was one YA book I read that had an epithet used. I ended up talking to the author about it, and he had a really good reason for putting the word in the book. The conversation I had with him broadened my outlook and my knowledge. I'm glad I didn't discount the book for that one scene." Trish from Hey Lady! Whatcha Reading?

"I commit literary masochism on a monthly basis. I finish every book I
start in it's entirety." Pam from Bookalicious

"There have been a couple of YA books that have been so full of cussing and sexual dialog that I have put them down. I try to get through every book that I start, even if I do find it boring. It's been surprising how many books I've been bored with that actually ended really well." Andye from Reading Teen

"Poor characterisation. Bad dialogue. Bad writing basically. And faeries with petal wings." Adele from Persnickety Snark