Sticky Willoughby

One of the first rules of soap opera writing: characters recur, even in the most ridiculously impossible ways. 

Too bad I didn't really think about that when I wrote myself out of Wasn't's script.

Note: When writing yourself out of someone's story, prepare for that someone to come back and write himself into yours.

Wasn't makes a cameo: Saturday, I awoke to a message from Wasn't. He was just needling me about football--friendly competitive stuff. Although...he did call me "baby."

Me, groggy, reacting to the message: "Baby? As in 'I carried a watermelon?' (Dirty Dancing reference, for those who don't know). He never uses the word 'baby.' Ugh."

I didn't respond.

Today, I had another needling message waiting for me. This time, he made it personal--a backhanded comment slapping my Dallas Cowboys in the face. Not cool.

My initial reaction was to send him a fiery reply. Then a light bulb went off--he's trying to get under my skin; he knows what gets to me...what gets me to respond.  Clever. Very clever.

I haven't responded, but an interesting little thought did cross my mind: By trying to get under my skin, I have to wonder just how much my non-response has gotten under his.