Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George: Review

dragon slippers cover art
Dragon Slippers
Jessica Day George
Fantasy; Young Adult Fiction

Creel definitely doesn't need to be rescued. Her aunt, desperate for money, decides that Creel's marriage to a rich Lord or Prince will be the best way to secure the family's future. She forces Creel to be "captured" by a dragon. In exchange for her release and preventing anyone from coming to the dragon's cave, Creel receives a beautiful pair of slippers. After befriending another dragon who rescues her along the way, Creel seeks employment near the castle as a seamstress. Soon, she learns the secret behind the mysterious slippers.

I was pretty sure that I wasn't going to have time to read this book before it was due to the library. I've read so many dragon books that I was pretty sure what this one was going to be like. However, I was pleasantly surprised. Some things were very similar to other stories with dragons, but much of the story was refreshingly original. I'm almost ashamed to admit that I may have shed a tear or two at the end. One of the things I liked best about this book was that the love story/interest was pretty much non-existant. This is the first book in a trilogy, and I will definitely be checking out the other two.

I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars. If you liked the "Dealing With Dragons" series by Patricia Wrede, you'll love this book.