The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones: Review

the lives of christopher chant cover art
The Lives of Christopher Chant
By: Diana Wynne Jones
Fantasy, YA Fiction

Christopher's mother and father are talented in the ways of magic. However, Christopher has very little contact with them and knows little about them. He learns of his ability to travel to other worlds while he dreams and brings back gifts. Soon, others begin to realize the extent of Christopher's powers and use them for their own gain.

This book is the second in a series. I was told that the stories didn't overlap much and it would be easy to follow the story. Well, that was not the case. I was geniunely lost and confused for the first 100 pages. This book may have been good if I had read the first book, but I really don't have much interest now in going back. I felt like the characters were well written, and the story itself was good, but the setting and backstory made it seem like I was just supposed to know all these things about the magical world. The story picked up at the end of the book, and I ended up kind of enjoying it by the end.

I gave it 2 out of 5 stars. Read the first book first.