Epic: Review

Epic Cover Art
Epic
By: Conor Kostick
Young-Adult Fiction

Erik lives in a world where violence is outlawed. The MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) "Epic" is used to settle all conflicts, and eventually becomes the form of government in the world. The better you do in the game, the more supplies you get, and some even get a chance to attend the university. Better players live in better areas and have better jobs and homes. Erik and his friends discover a loophole in the game that makes them rich. Soon, they begin to unravel the entire system that has been built, and the Committee is none too pleased.

I really enjoyed this book. However, I have to give a caveat that I love the MMORPG "World of Warcraft." I thought this was a fascinating take on post-apocolyptic fiction. I could imagine many of the places and races that were being portrayed in the story. But, this book is not for every one. I would not recommend this book to someone that doesn't like or hasn't played a MMORPG. Many of the passages and descriptions will be too confusing. But, it was well-written, and a captivating read. I really struggled with how many stars to give it, since it's not a book I would recommend to most people. In the end, I settled on 5 out of 5.