The Book Thief: Review


The Book Thief
By: Markus Zusak
Young-Adult Fiction

Death is the narrator in this WWII novel about survival, human suffering, love, and hope. It follows the story of Leisel Meminger as she learns how to read, and with that comes a whole new world of understanding.

This book was, in my opinion, not Young Adult. It's just too heavy for your average teen. That aside, it was a great book that left you thinking. The writing style is different, and kind of neat. I really enjoyed the dialogue that was in German. At first, I wasn't really into the book. However, as time went on, I really got sucked into the characters. Not so much the story, that was only s0-so for me. But, I grew to really love the characters and their different personalities.

I would recommend this book for anyone who enjoys WWII historical fiction. Also, for those looking for a really deep read. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars.