My Last Skirt: The Story of Jennie Hodgers, Union Soldier: Review

My Last Skirt Cover Art 
 My Last Skirt: The Story of Jennie Hodgers, Union Soldier
By: Lynda Durrant
Historical; YA Fiction
Jennie Hodgers first started dressing like a boy to herd sheep in her hometown in Ireland. Later, she immigrated to the US with her brother, and found there were more opportunities for a young man than for a young woman. She takes on the identity of Albert Cashier and joins in the Union Army.
This book was really facinating. It's not the kind of story I really like, but it definitely left an impression on me. I think the thing that got me the most was that this woman pretended and pulled off being a man for nearly her entire life.  She definitely has true grit. She endured the hardship of war, and had to learn to never trust a single soul completely. Not only that, but she had to deny one of the most fundamental aspects of any human being, her gender.
If you like historical fiction, this one is definitely worth reading. I gave it 3 out of 5 stars.